The saying “A dog is a man’s best friend” does not always hold true. Dogs can be great companions, but they can also be extremely dangerous due to a pet owner’s negligence. If you have been harmed by a dog, the injury attorneys of Phoenix based Oracle Law Group are here to help you.
Know the Facts
- Over 164 million households own a pet;
- Nearly 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year—2.25 million are children;
- One in five dog bites results in serious injuries requiring medical attention;
- In 2012, 27,762 people had reconstructive surgery because of dog bites;
- Adults with two or more dogs in the home are five times more likely to be bitten than those living without dogs at home.
Arizona Law on Dog Bites
Arizona is a strict liability state. This means that a Phoenix area dog owner may be held liable for injuries, regardless of the owner’s negligence or knowledge of the attack. Even if it is the dog’s first time to bite someone, the owner may still be held legally responsible. If someone besides the owner is caring for the dog at the time of the incident, the caretaker and the owner may be held jointly liable for the victim’s injuries and damages. However, if the victim provoked the attack, then the owner may use that as a defense. Provocation is determined by whether a reasonable person would expect that the conduct or circumstances would be likely to provoke a dog.
Dog Bite Settlements Around the Country*
- A $300,000 settlement was paid to a man severely injured by a dog in his friend’s home;
- A $490,000 settlement was paid to a grandmother for a severe leg injury from her cousin’s German Shepherd-pit bull mix;
- A $1,000,000 settlement was paid to the family of a man who died from an infection that developed after being bitten by a dog at work;
- $2,100,000 was awarded to a woman attacked by a pit bull. The building owner was liable for failing to protect the woman since they knew there were dangerous dogs on the premises;
- A $7,000,000 verdict was awarded against the owners whose dogs killed a 10-year- old boy;
*These verdicts and settlements were not handled by Oracle Law Group and are strictly provided for informational purposes.
How Phoenix based Oracle Law Group Can Help
All law firms are not created equal. If you or a loved one has been injured in a dog attack, then the Phoenix personal injury attorneys of Oracle Law Group are ready to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
While other law offices will have a paralegal evaluate your case, Oracle Law Group will always have an attorney evaluate your personal injury claim. We have a Registered Nurse on staff, who is also a licensed attorney, who brings compassion and warmth to our legal services.
We understand that this is a stressful time in your life, so we will try to alleviate some of that stress by always keeping you apprised of what is happening with your case so you can make informed, educated decisions when necessary. You don’t pay any fees unless you recover.
We serve dog bite victims in Phoenix, Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, Mesa, Scottsdale and other cities throughout the State of Arizona.
Call us today to schedule a consultation at 480-704-0777.