What is the Post-Finasteride Syndrome?
The Post-Finasteride Syndrome (PFS) is a term coined for a clinical sexual disorder afflicting men who used Propecia or Proscar. PFS is associated with a cluster of symptoms that men have experienced following treatment with Propecia or Proscar. The generic component of both medications is finasteride.
- Prior history, of treatment with Propecia or Proscar. PFS inflicts only men.
- Men had complaints of side effects which included erectile dysfunction, sexual dysfunction, lack of libido, impotence, penile shrinkage, decreased amount of semen, and decreased ejaculatory volume.
- The side effects often had a brief resolution within 10-20 days after quitting the finasteride medication Propecia or Proscar. (5AR2 enzyme activity/DHT returned to baseline.)
- Endocrine crash with lowered Testosterone levels,
- Ongoing, irreversible and persistent side effects with little improvement,
- Attempts to restore androgen levels and androgenic response through medication with little success.
PFS is a clinical condition of permanent sexual, mental, and physical side effects which fail to resolve after cessation of Propecia or Proscar, often accompanied by secondary hypogonadism and post medication loss of androgenic action. PFS does not respond well to hormonal treatments. PFS is characterized by sexual, neurological, hormonal, and psychological side effects that continue after men terminated treatment for hair loss or enlarged prostates with the medications Propecia and Proscar. Symptoms of PFS may include erectile dysfunction, severe depression, and cognitive impairment, loss of libido, impotence, penile shrinkage, and gynecomastia.
PFS can have a life-altering impact on victims and their families. There have been reports of broken marriages, job loss, and suicides. Many men who took Propecia and Proscar were unaware of the drug’s side effects because the drug manufacturer Merck & Co. may have led them to believe that any sexual side effect was only temporary. Propecia and Proscar lawyers at Oracle Law Group are currently investigating cases against the drug manufacturer Merck & Co. Oracle Law Group has experienced personal injury attorneys with over 28 years of experience in representing people injured from unsafe products. If you or a loved one has taken Propecia or Proscar, please contact one of our experienced dangerous drug attorneys for a free consultation.